Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Burda 7942 ...(and mine is white)

Last week I posted I was going to make this blouse from Burda Magazine.


Reason I chose a blouse with a collar is that I want to practice for making a winter coat or a suit or blazer. Those require very nicely done collars with lapels. Do it wrong and the whole blazer is ruined or just looks "cheap" or "off". Another reason I chose a blouse is that they intimidate me. I look much dressier and sharper in a blouse, but never dared making them. In the store they do not appeal to me and they are either too small somewhere or designed for a cup C -which I do not have-. Fashion also tends to give weird prints, weird colors and weird details preference nowadays and a simple, white blouse is hard to find. And the last reason I never tried a blouse before is because I am scared of the buttons, or rather, making the buttonholes. I am really afraid I will not line them up correctly, or make them the wrong length, or that they will just look very crap cause I did not do it well enough and they will drag the whole thing down.

So, my own critique on the whole thing up to this stage is:
The collar does not lay flat on the right side and the problem is on the inner workings of it (no I will not correct it anymore in this stage). The instructions for the collar were very unclear and summarized in like 2 lines. So, I had to get out a sewing book to get a faint idea of what they intended to do with it. Biggest mistake in construction there is the angle of the attachment and not grading(snipping) the seams in the correct way. I think it worked out ok in the end.
I love the sleeve detail :-)

So, I just need to hem it and make the buttons. It looks really nice as it is, so I was thinking maybe snaps would be a better idea? I like the clean line across the front. Any suggestions?

No comments: